The transition into parenthood is a monumental time in your life. A postpartum doula can assist you in this transition, whether your baby is coming to you through birth, surrogacy, or adoption. My role as your postpartum doula is to hold space for you and your growing family by providing practical support, and to provide evidence- based information on infant feeding, physical and emotional postpartum recovery from birth, basic newborn care and soothing, and parent-baby bonding.
So are you like a nanny or something?
While I do have experience as a nanny, and still enjoy sitting with babies while tired parents get a long shower or nap in, my goal as a postpartum doula is different than a nanny or a babysitter because my focus is on you and supporting your attachment and bonding with your new baby. It is my goal as a postpartum doula to help you feel confident in your role as parents through education and practical support and care.
What can I expect during a postpartum doula session?
In the first days and weeks after having a baby, bonding is so important. Finding time and energy to keep up with household tasks and remembering to care for and nourish yourself can be challenging when caring for a newborn. I aim to release some of that pressure in some of the following ways:
- breastfeeding support and education
- preparation of meals that are supportive of your postpartum healing
- Supporting sibling with the adjustment to and integration with their new friend
- assistance with newborn care and soothing
- dog walking and providing information on integration of pets with new baby
- light housework, grocery shopping, running errands, laundry
- referrals to local resources (massage, acupuncture, new parent support,pediatric chiropractors, green baby products and more)
- assist the family by organizing offers of help from friends and extended family to create a structured
flow of help
- processing the birth experience
- provide care to new baby while parents, sleep, shower or play with older children
- preparation of pump supplies or bottles
- cloth diapering information
- nursery organization/safe co-sleeping information
Want to meet and learn more?